This program modifies "falloutw.exe" in memory for the purposes of increasing the visual resolution, playing in a window and other enhancements.
Currently Supported versions of the "Falloutw.exe" are:
- US 1.1
- TeamX Patch 1.2 (Executable included in TeamX's Fallout 1 patch)
- Fallout Restoration Mod 1.2 (Executable included in Wasteland Ghost's Fallout 1 mod)
- Polish 1.2
- Fallout Collection (PC DVD) WHITE LABEL 1.2
Some other versions will also work but will be recognized as one of the versions listed above.
Created by Mash.
- Fixed a bug occasionally causing an inability to target an enemy with clear line of sight.
- Fixed a bug causing text in the interface-bar console to be cropped if a word was longer than the console width. Text is now cut with the remained being displayed on the next line.
- Fixed scriptable window functions which were scaling up the window as the resolution increased beyond 640x480.
- Added option to the config ini for alternative mouse input (SCROLLWHEEL_FOCUS_PRIMARY_MENU). When accessing inventory, barter etc. Makes the scroll wheel focus control on to the PC items list when mouse is not hovering over another list.
- Added option to the config ini (FADE_TIME_MODIFIER). To decrease/increase transitional fade effect length.
- For alternative mouse input, fixed cursor position after using mouse menu.
- Removed fallout2 lines "f2_res_dat=f2_res.dat" and "f2_res_patches=data\" from being created in the ini.
- Reinstated option in the config ini to reduce CPU usage. (accidentally removed in v4.1.0)
- Removed the necessity to use windows message base mouse control over DirectInput. Alternative mouse input is disabled by default.
- In the config ini, moved ALT_MOUSE_INPUT setting from MAIN to new section INPUT.
- Added option to the config ini, EXTRA_WIN_MSG_CHECKS to INPUT section to fix "NOT RESPONDING" error in windowed mode.
- Added for alternative mouse input, console message scrolling via mouse wheel.
- Added for alternative mouse input, weapon slot switching via middle button.
- Added for alternative mouse input, scroll various lists by page when holding middle button down while scrolling.
- Added button to f1_res_Config.exe to open the f1_res.ini for editing. This should be useful for those with Win Vista+ and UAC_AWARE enabled.
- Fixed f1_res_Config.exe text(Fallout2 strings were accidentally used in previous version)
- Fixed a bug causing the mouse to jiggle about.
- Fixed a bug causing the screen to flicker in some circumstances.
- Fixed a bug for non english versions causing text not to wrap in the in-game hi-res settings window.
- Fixed a bug causing a black box to obsure the screen in some circumstances.
- Fixed a bug causing incorrect mouse placement on the world map when using the 2x scaler.
- Fixed a bug causing the world map to be displayed on top of movies in some circumstances.
- Fixed a problem with the DirectX9 mode causing the creation of the movie buffers to fail.
- Replaced Mouse DirectInput with Windows functions and messages. This is required for graphics modes 1 and 2 but optional for mode 0(basic mode).
- Made the inventory scrollable with the mouse wheel as removing DirectInput for the mouse killed the like functions in sfall.
- Improved performance when using the DirectX9 mode.
- Made the patch more UAC compliant, allows Win Vista/7/8 users to change setting under "Program Files" without needing admin privileges.
- Various other minor tweaks and fixes.
- Added Russian translation text for the Screen Settings Window (ScrnSet.msg). (Created by Drobovik)
- Fixed a bug causing some objects and tiles to be lighted incorrectly.
- Fixed a bug causing the DirectX9 window mode to fail when the fullscreen refresh rate was set to something other than 0.
- Fixed a bug causing window mode to crash when adjusting the window size with the x2 scaler enabled.
- Fixed a bug which could cause non english text to be cropped in the widened interface-bar console.
- Fixed some dodgy code that may have been causing a crash when entering a map after adjusting hi-res settings.
- Removed the need to hold down a key when scrolling map view area. Scrolling is now disabled when another panel has focus, e.g. opening the in-game menu.
- Added double-click running option, functionally the same as in Fallout2. Enabled by default.
- For Fog Of War - Made Misc objects always visible as with Walls and Scenery.
- Fixed a bug in my world map code causing keyboard commands to fail.
- Fixed the pause screen for the hi-res patch.
- Fixed the vertical centring of windows when the main game window is not visible.
- Modified the wide interface-bar console to handle multibyte characters.
- Added the option to play the game in greyscale.(Pixote's idea)
- Added options to add Fog Of War elements to the game.
- Added new Graphic Output modes DirectDraw7 and DirectX9.
- Added the option to play in a resizable window.
- Added a basic scaling option.
- Overhauled the inGame Settings menu, adding some more options previously hidden in the f1_res.ini.
- Added new graphics for the dialog screen which have had a border added. (Art Created by Continuum)
- Replaced the f1_res_patcher.exe with f1_res_Config.exe to edit hi-res settings outside of the game.
- Various other small fixes and code edits.
- Fixed a potential bug which may cause the splash window to not close.
- Added an option in the "f1_res.ini" to fix the flickering screen problem.
- Added an option in the "f1_res.ini" to reduce CPU usage.
- Fixed a bug which sometimes caused only one word to be displayed per line in the console when using the wider interface-bar option.
- Added more display options for the interface-bar's alternate Ammo Metre.
- Fixed a bug which sometimes caused a blank screen when loading maps with multiple areas.
- Fixed incorrect placement of inventory/loot windows.
- Cleaned up mouse drawing beyond map edges.
- Added an option to increase the width of the interface bar allowing for a larger area to display game messages.
- Added 800 pixel wide Interface-bar Art created by Continuum.
- (W.I.P.)Added an option to display an alternate Ammo Metre which is wider and changes colour depending how much ammo remains in your current weapon.
- Fixed a bug which could cause the game to crash if one of the vault water level warning videos were played.
- Major code overhaul, most of patch re-written and/or optimized.
- Fixed Splash screen display.
- Added an option to increase the display time of the Splash screen.
- Added scaling options for Splash, Help, Death, Ending Slides and Main-menu Screens.
- Added option to load 8bit bmp's on Splash screen.
- Added option to set 32bit colour output.
- Text used in the Screen-Settings screen can now be edited in a msg file.
- Hi-res patch art and other files have been integrated into the fallout file system. And are now stored in your master *patches folder(eg. data\).
- Added map edge clipping option to hide the unused area beyond the map borders.
- Added angled clipping to clean up some original maps.
- Map edges are now the same no matter the resolution.
- Multiple edge sets can now be set up on a single map level.
- Map angled borders have been removed. All 10 000 tile and 40 000 hex positions can be utilized.
- Numerous other small fixes.
- Fixed a mistake I made adding "Fallout Restoration Mod" support which caused other fallout versions to stop working.
- Added support for the Fallout Restoration Mod
- Added some extra text to memory error messages and the "f1_res_error.log" so that it's clear that they come from the Hi-Res patch.
- Added an option "SAFER_DISPLAY_LIST" to the "f1_res.ini". To help with crashes on some systems when using the Screen Settings Window.
- Iface-sides Metal art has been updated with a browner look to match the f1 interface better(created by Simon Rawlins(Pixote).
- Improved the code for restarting fallout via the button in the Screen Settings window.
- Re-worked the code and ini files relating to hi-res map scroll boarders.
- Added the 'Options' button to the Main-menu.
- Screen resolution can be set in-game via a button on the 'Option/Game-Pref Screen' when accessed via the Main-menu.
- When subtitles are enabled, a space will automatically be created for them at the bottom of the movie screen.
- Added some side art to fill the blank areas either side of the IFace-Bar.
- Changed the format of the map edges ini files (edges are now set by hex tile numbers).
- Map-eges files can now be tweaked for best results for particular resolutions.
- f2_res.ini changes:
- MAP_EDGE_NAME setting now equals the name of the folder where map-edge files are stored.
- Added a setting to change the name of the 'Options' button on the Main-menu.
- Added a new section for the IFace-Bar for adjusting the way the new side art is drawn.
- Removed AUTO_SCRN_SIZE setting as the resolution can now be set in-game.
- Removed the [VARIABLES] section.
- Added a new file "panels.ini" to the "f1_res" folder where the various window positions are set.
- Removed all the "RES_*.ini" files from the "f1_res" folder and coded everything contained into the "f1_res.dll".
- Full Screen Splash, Help, Death and Ending Slides.
- Main-Menu Background is also scaled to screen and uses a custom frm found in the "f1_res/intrface" folder.
- Blackened the background when using the World-Map.
- Fixed World-Map Town window position to centre of screen when exiting a map.
- Fixed the stuck scrolling problem when entering some maps.(eg. rad scorpion caves)
- Re-enabled Auto-scroll and Home-Key return to character.
- Fixed Quick Save pic.
- Fixed Pipboy HoloDisk Back and Done buttons.
- Hacked an error message which displays when an unsupported res is used. It now lists the chosen res rather than 640x480.
- New setting in the f1_res.ini file - IFACE_BAR_MODE -This setting can be used to raise the viewable map area to the top of the Interface-Bar if desired.
- Added support for the "falloutw.exe" 1.2 version found in the "Fallout Collection (PC DVD) WHITE LABEL".
- Full Screen Movies.
- Added a couple of settings for movie subtitles in the f1_res.ini
- Changed the layout of the f1_res.ini to make it easier to use.
- Corrected the spelling of SCR_HIGHT to SCR_HEIGHT for no particular reason.
- Fixed a bug where the map edges data wasn't loading because the internal names of some maps were in lower case.
- Set background colour to black for the Help Screen.
- Disabled auto scrolling which was causing view to become stuck in some maps
- Fixed - NPC should now appear in the dialogue view window unless they are off the screen.
- Original Map blockers have been disabled and replaced my own functions.
- Support has been added for the Polish 1.2/Teamx version of falloutw.exe
- .res files have been renamed and are now RES*.ini files as the extension was causing confusion.
- Map now hidden when displaying Ending Slideshow
- Maps now hidden when displaying Help Screen
- Scroll distance from player now adapts to the chosen resolution.