Units are in millilitres (if you're using different units - you must only calculate/change them).
- first you must create a camera,
- you must adjust camera angles,
- dolly camera at 64000,
- set render to 640x480,
- create a plane:
Length: ~ 5500
Width: ~ 4600,
- render the scene - you have a tile template,
- it's time for hexes - create gengon:
radius: ~ 1525
- render the scene - you have a hex template.
You can change render size, but you must remember to change a camera dolly, examples (1st values are render size, 2nd - dolly):
800x600 - 80000
1600x1200 - 160000
3200x2400 - 320000
There's no way to create "ideal" templates, I think. Based on these two templates you can plan where doors will be placed, where blockers will be placed, etc. directly in 3d.
Scene after adding such "helpers":